Sunday, 9 August 2009

Musings

Being a man who likes unusual and different things I decided that I wanted to make a dinner with a difference, one of the ingredients I need is purple potatoes. I decided to go and look for them on the internet and so far have only found one place that sells them. They wanted £15 plus delivery for around 4kg of them. I suppose it is my fault for wanting to be different but I am not paying that for some potatoes.

I am watching the news and in particular a report about the Scottish parliament looking at ways of tackling binge drinking. They are considering imposing a minimum price per unit of alcohol, 40p per unit was said. The report looked into the impact this would have on the whisky industry. At a first glance this appears to be punishing everyone for the actions of the minority. The vast majority of us can have a drink without being completely stupid and I don’t see why I should pay more for a drink because others can’t handle themselves.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you there.
    They introduced a tax on "alcopops" here earlier this year. Simply because 16 year olds manage to get their hands on them and drink themselves into oblivion.
    Whereas the rest of us are able to have a drink or two and not get blind.

    At least with the one you're talking about, it is on all alcohol. Here, because of the tax, people are no longer buying "alcopops" but are buying bottles of spirits and completely wiping themselves out. ::)

    ReplyDelete