It is a natural human instinct to want to have a baby and it is a sad fact of life that not everyone is able to conceive the normal way. Obviously one of the options open to couple is IVF and they are entitled to up to 3 cycles on the NHS but this is down to a postcode lottery. So you have to live in the right area to get IVF on the NHS.
I always thought the NHS was set up to give treatment on a fair and equal basis to all? Doesn’t this mean that it doesn’t matter who you are and where you live you will get equal treatment to someone who lives on the other side of the country? I am not naive enough to think that the NHS has a bottomless pit of funding but treatment should be offered to all equally. Not everyone can afford to pay for IVF privately.
It’s a very difficult question. I have had such a hard time because there are really no NHS psychological support services, unless you manifest violence. As I can’t work, I can’t pay for counselling let alone therapy so, though I sympathise, I would have to say the provision of therapy for those in crisis should have priority over IVF for those having difficulty conceiving.
ReplyDelete