Sunday, 12 July 2009

Paying for what you get


Whatever your background and wherever you come from I can pretty much guarantee you want, like and enjoy the finer things in life. It part of human nature to want more in life, to better our selves and I am one of those people. I want the best but am realistic enough to know that unless I win the lottery or meet someone rich and famous I am not going get the best of everything in life. Hard work will get me most but not all of it.

When you buy the finer things in life, are you actually getting what you pay for or is it snobbery, buying a label, a status symbol or a waste of money.

Supermarkets claim that their own brand products are just as good as premium brand varieties but cheaper. There are a few exceptions but in the main yes they are just as good. I personally use a mix of own brand and premium products in my weekly shop. This means I can afford to buy some of the finer things as treats even though like most people I am on a budget.

You will see people on the TV advising everyone to buy shops own brand, go to budget stores etc. They say that the quality is good and you will save money however I don’t believe this is always the case. I used to pay £15 to £20 for a pair of shoes and get through them in a couple of months at most. Last year I decided to spend £100 and they are still going strong, the quality was there and overall I have saved money. Another example is the earphone I use with my MP3 player, yes they are seriously expensive at £120 but my last pair lasted over 4 years of very heavy use. Using normal earphones the music quality is poorer and they break. I have saved money overall by paying more initially. Sometimes paying more is worth it

It doesn’t always work like this. Let’s take cars for an example. Cars have one purpose in life to get you from a to b in comfort and safely. So why do people pay £100 000 for an Aston Martin when a £20000 car will do the same? I am sure people will argue the point with me but it is a status symbol. The same can be said for people who shop in stores like Harrods.

Budget isn’t always the best but it certainly helps you get more out of life!

No comments:

Post a Comment