What would you say constitutes a family? Ask around the world and most people will answer man, woman and possibly children. Look towards the church and they will give you a similar answer, I am not aware of any religion that recognises same sex partnerships let alone marriage. Only in the last few years we have had civil marriages.
A huge amount of people will say that a child needs a mother and a father in their life, how many marriages and relationships are kept together for the sake of the children? I wonder though is it actually better for the child? Children pick up on a huge amount and you’re not going to keep able to keep everything from them. What happens if one or the other parent is abusive? Sleeping around and bringing a different person every night? Abusing drugs or alcohol?
If you look at society as a whole it seems to believe that only heterosexual people can make good parents? Only now have attitudes started to change and people in same sex partnerships have been allowed to adopt. It still seems that being a single parent is frowned upon and for the life of me I can’t understand why. If a person can provide and give a child love then surely that all that matters rather than their sexual orientation, relationship status, or if they are single.
On March 8th 2006 with the birth of my first daughter I finally got the one thing I wanted more than anything in life, a family. It was a perfect moment for me and completed me, if you have kids I am sure you know what I mean. Unfortunately my daughter lost her fight for life just over 90 minutes later and she was buried with my wife. The memories will last forever as will the mental and physical scars I have gained since their deaths.
No comments:
Post a Comment