I have already posted previously why I self harm but as with everyone who self harms there are triggers. The major one for me is feelings and thoughts around the deaths of the people I have loved especially my eldest daughter. The worst time of the year is around March and yes during that point I am very easily triggered.
Will your tweets, comments or our conversations trigger me? No, recently some of the tweets and comments I have received have done the opposite and helped me. When I talk about my family the main emotion I feel is pride. Yes there are times that talking about my daughters will upset me but we all have bad days.
Can I stop you self harming? To be honest it depends, when I last did anything serious there wasn’t anything anyone could have said or done to stop me. Sometimes a hug makes all of the difference! Things like winding me up further and threats normally result in me self harming. If it happens, it happens and I have a huge amount in place to prevent it happening, to deal with any injuries and consequences. 90% of the time you would never know that I have injured myself.
How do you stop yourself self harming? It depends on what has triggered me but I tend to use listening to music as loud as possible, fast walks, posting on forums, snap wraps, focusing on specific events and thoughts and if that fails then I go onto damage limitation. When I talk about damage limitation I mean giving myself what I need without causing an injury. Most of the methods I use tend to cause allot of pain but that is it. It is rare for me to get to damage limitation now and even rarer for damage limitation to fail. The worst case scenario for me normally involves me seeking medical attention.
You are a father to two daughters, how can you self harm? Had my family survived I wouldn’t be self harming. 110% of my time would be spent being the best father in the world to them. I self harm because of the feelings over their deaths.
You are being very reckless aren’t you? So is binge drinking, taking drugs and numerous other things and I don’t do that. I am not trying to justify my actions as I am far from proud of them. I take numerous precautions, have first aid equipment and seek medical attention when necessary. I have done other legal things that are far riskier than any self harming I have ever done. Likewise I am paying for help and therapy to get me to a better place.
Thanks for reading this.
I can so relate to all this, I got a tattoo on the arm which I abused the most, so now I just can't bring myself to hurt that arm and the times when the pain gets really hard to bear or I get really fucking mad, I just punch the wall, hurts like a bitch but its easier to handle than cuts... You doing good :) Appreciate you sharing this... Cheers
ReplyDelete