The NHS was set up to give free healthcare to everyone on an equal basis but with the increase in treatment costs, an aging population and limited resources, can the NHS continue on the basis of free treatment for all?
Currently you have to pay to see a dentist and for prescriptions unless you’re on certain benefits or have certain medical conditions. In the news there was a report about a political think tank who said that there should be a charge for seeing a GP. Obviously this has been rejected by everyone but is it such a bad idea? Many countries charge people for seeing a GP and the cost price of medication.
I know people will say I pay my taxes so the NHS is free but there is a limit to everything and I am not suggesting that people should pay to go into hospital, or people on benefits should pay but we do have a huge amount of people who can afford to pay. Another option could be to charge people a fixed fee if they fail to turn up for any booked appointment whether it is with a GP or consultant.
Personally I wouldn’t have a problem paying to see my GP if it improves the services for all, I currently pay for the majority of my treatment and therapy for my self harming.
Currently you have to pay to see a dentist and for prescriptions unless you’re on certain benefits or have certain medical conditions. In the news there was a report about a political think tank who said that there should be a charge for seeing a GP. Obviously this has been rejected by everyone but is it such a bad idea? Many countries charge people for seeing a GP and the cost price of medication.
I know people will say I pay my taxes so the NHS is free but there is a limit to everything and I am not suggesting that people should pay to go into hospital, or people on benefits should pay but we do have a huge amount of people who can afford to pay. Another option could be to charge people a fixed fee if they fail to turn up for any booked appointment whether it is with a GP or consultant.
Personally I wouldn’t have a problem paying to see my GP if it improves the services for all, I currently pay for the majority of my treatment and therapy for my self harming.
Paying for NHS apointments? Noooooo, wrong and baaaaad! >.<
ReplyDeleteI do agree with a penalty for missed appointments though - although it would have to be cost-effective i.e. not cost more to recover the payment than the payment itself :P