Friday, 10 July 2009

The Governments decision to renew Trident

Today I am going to be a bit controversial and talk about nuclear weapons aka weapons of mass destruction. The government has decided that they will spend around 20 billion pounds of our money renewing the Trident Nuclear deterrent. As far as I am concerned this is money well spent. Yes I fully support the UK having nuclear weapons.

We all know that the only purpose of using a nuclear weapon is to cause as much destruction and loss of life as possible. The nuclear fallout would affect generation and generation of civilians as we have seen from tests and the use of atomic bombs by America. Using a nuclear weapon is mass murder and could possibly be called genocide. Let’s be honest if nuclear weapons are used against another nuclear armed country there isn’t going to be much left afterwards.

I certainly don’t support or agree with mass murder or genocide in any form so why do I think we should have nuclear weapons. Quite simply we have to be able to defend ourselves against any form of attack at any level. Someone uses a nuclear weapon against the UK I can guarantee the word diplomacy won’t be uttered by anyone and the population would be screaming for a similar response. The short of it we have to have the capability to defend ourselves using an equal force.

There used to be a time where it would have been unthinkable for anyone to set a bomb off on British soil and terrorists have done that. It was even more unthinkable that we would have suicide bombers and that has happened. Now is it really unthinkable for a country or terrorist organisation to use a nuclear weapon? No. The fact a country is nuclear armed and prepared to use them is a very good deterrent to countries thinking about using them.

The government has a duty to protect us against all threats using any and all available means and that includes a nuclear deterrent. I pray to god that we never get to the point that nuclear weapons are used, but if it comes to that day then I would rather we have them than not.

No comments:

Post a Comment