Tuesday, 21 July 2009

First Aid

I was 9 years old when I was first taught any form of first aid; I remember starting with the Red Cross to get another badge in the Cub Scouts and was proud of myself when I attained the badge. Through the years I completed and passed numerous forms of first aid courses, competed in first aid competitions up to national level in the UK. I intend to re qualify as a first aider as soon as I have the time and money to pay for the course.

I know kids have a huge amount to take in at school and obviously have the choice of what they want to study at college. I also know that teachers will say they have enough to teach but wouldn't it be a good thing for it to be compulsory for schools to teach at least a basic first aid course.

The result would be lots of young adults with a basic first aid knowledge and possibly, just possibly a few more lives saved. Some of them may want to go further and gain more experience and qualifications as I did. This could be another potential benefit to the community.

1 comment:

  1. That's a very good point.

    Although now I have done a few Senior First Aid courses, I too remember learning about it in high school. And I still remember heaps of the stuff they taught us then, and feeling so proud that I knew it.

    I think they still teach it in schools but only when one of the teachers is a first aider so they don't have to hire someone else to come in and do it. :-/

    xDFNx

    ReplyDelete