I thought I would spend some time writing about Christmas and what it means to me. It feels like the real meaning of Christmas is being lost thanks to shops that have dragged the build up to the point of it being in the summer. I have also had friends going on about it for weeks.
So what is the meaning of Christmas?
Well as a child it was about writing Christmas lists, finding where the presents were hid and guessing what we had been bought and then telling our friends about all of our presents. Later on it was about unwrapping presents that I was grateful to get but the element of surprise had gone as I was told to write exactly what I wanted. The avoiding the arguments and then feeling slightly down when friends told me about there wonderful Christmas.
Christmas for me is about families and giving. Being surrounded by those you love and cherish the most and the happiness that brings. I have the perfect Christmas in my mind and I know that it isn't going to happen this year, that doesn't stop me from hoping one year I will have the Christmas I have always wanted.
I will be on my own over Christmas and it is highly unlikely that I will be opening any presents on Christmas day but this no longer concerns or upsets me, as hopefully through giving I have improved someones day just a little bit. This is more important to me that material presents. The things I want and need in life can't be unwrapped, I have already tweeted about one such thing.
Michael x
Hope you do have a happy Christmas!
ReplyDeletexDFNx