In the next few hours a British man is due to be executed in China by firing squad. He was convicted of smuggling 4kg of heroin. This man has a severe mental illness and the court didn't take this into account when passing sentence. They haven't taken into account evidence presented at appeal and to make matters worse he has only just been told that he is going to die.
I am sure everyone will agree that this is wrong on so many levels. The Chinese have the power to stay the execution so all the evidence can be presented, to commute the sentence and to grant a pardon. It seems that nothing sort of a miracle is going to stop this execution. Justice is supposed to be fair and equal for all!
I am pro life and am 100% against the death penalty. I do not believe it serves justice especially in non violent cases. This man needs medical attention not a bullet in the head. Can't the Chinese deport him to the UK to serve his sentence or receive treatment? Executing him serves no one.
I hope when I get up tomorrow that sense has prevailed and this execution has been stopped.
The death penalty is just stupid anyway, what's the point of it?
ReplyDeleteIf I ever did something serious, I'd want to die rather than spend my entire life rotting in a cell.
But that makes me sound like a criminal and also it's not the point.
I do agree with what you're saying, it's entirely unfair.
But has it actually been reported that his mental illness was the reason he imported drugs? Are the two actually related?
If they aren't, well I'm not saying he deserves to be shot, like I said I'm against it, but that just makes him incredibly stupid for importing drugs, and he deserves to be jailed.
But if his mental illness is what made him do it then you're right, it should come into consideration.
xDFNx