Monday, 31 May 2010

Where to go in life?

This may sound like one of those mid life crisis, woe is me wobbles but please be assured that it isn't. I have my own house, a job and would call myself financially secure to the point that I can afford the little luxuries that make life that little bit better. I am not in a relationship but finding the perfect lady seems to be more of a challenge now, or perhaps I need to lower my standards in what I look for in a woman. Answers on a post card to me on that one!

So what is going on apart from being single you may ask? Well I seem to be stuck in one of those ruts which I can't break out of and it is becoming more and more of a bitch. I am the sort of person who refuses to stay still and accept what I have in life, I need more and more importantly I need to know where I am going and what I am going to achieve. I am not going to be one of these people who in 20 or 30 years time has lots of regrets.

Heading towards the grand old age of 33 I need to make a decision as to what is going to happen with my life. Do I stay where I am and maintain the at times uncomfortable status quo, do I change everything and hope that the status quo changes into a life that I am living to the max or do I start again? What do I want in life and how am I going to get it?

I have been living in Norwich now for just under 6 years now. Things have drastically changed for me during that time, the majority of which I don't want to talk about on here. I will say that I am in a great position in life but I am still not where I want to be. I think it would be fair to say that I am living about 70% of the life that I want. One of the major issues is going out in Norwich. Going to the cinema, theatre or a meal is fine and isn't a problem but the sort of events I like tend to be very limited. Some of the scenes I like are none existent. Most people I know in Norwich will say what about clubbing? There are loads of clubs in Norwich. I like chilled out clubs where you can have a drink and fun with friends without getting a huge amount of hassle or having to fight just to move a few inches. I haven't found anything close to what I like in Norwich. It does sadden me to say that I can't remember a single decent night out that has involved clubs in Norwich. I prefer nights out where I don't get abused, feel intimidated, end up on my own or being puked over. This appears to be the norm for me in Norwich.

Moving onto my job, I think we can all say that we have our ups and downs in any job. The thing is that whilst I haven't got a clue what I want to do or where I want to go with my career it does pay rather well. I have checked and in some cases it pays very substantially more than rival companies and this gives me the little luxuries which get me through the bad times. It would be silly of me just to leave a job in this climate, especially when I haven't got a clue what I want to do.

Don't get me wrong Norwich is a good place to live. Good shopping, lots of restaurants, tourist attractions, reasonable cost of living compared to some cities and some quote frankly stunning people. It just doesn't give me that extra edge that I am looking for in a city. I love the madness of London and the chilled out madness that is Dublin. I do have a bit of a thing about the Irish, especially the accent. More importantly I love what both of these major cities have to offer me.

I don't think keeping things as they are is going to work for me very much longer. Likewise I don't think taking lots of risks and making some fairly major changes to my life in Norwich is going to improve things enough for me. I am more than happy to be proven wrong on this by anyone. This for me leaves one option and that is the most drastic option of moving out of Norwich and starting again.

1 comment:

  1. How about you and I just move to Ireland?? I'm in the same boat, just a different ocean. Here if you need. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete