Saturday, 8 May 2010

Tolerance

We are supposed to be living in a more tolerant society today but is this really the case? I was sitting in Trafalgar Square on Thursday and 2 ladies walked past me holding hands, I looked at them and thought aww what a great couple. The first thing I hear after they walked past me was a comment about gays. I have got friends who have been abused because of their sexuality.

Society may have moved on by removing laws that discriminate against people as a result of their sexuality but have people moved on? I am Catholic but my views go against what the Catholic Church and many other faiths say. In some countries the church is so powerful it can dictate how the population act, in this country that is not the case. A generation of people were bought up to hide their sexuality on the basis it was wrong and against the law to be gay but I do not consider this an excuse for people to abuse others. We may live in a society were freedom of speech is enshrined in law but that does not mean that one person can abuse another because of who they are are, to do so is likely to get you arrested.

If to people want to express there feelings in public then why should we view them any differently because it is two men or two women doing it rather than a man and a woman? What is so offensive about it? I could understand if the couple were getting it on or having sex but then again the reaction would be the same if it was a heterosexual couple doing it.

So are we living in a more tolerant society? The evidence appears to show that we still have a long way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment