Friday, 14 May 2010

Reminders

I have spoken briefly about this before but wanted to talk about it a bit more now. I have 3 things that help me focus me more in life and remind me how far I have progressed and where I am going.

A few years ago I ended up homeless for a short period of time and was using guest houses to stay in. What most people don't know is that towards the end of this period of time my money started to run out. I may have joked to people about it at the time but things had got so serious that I had walked around the city and chosen where I was going to sleep at night. I chose this spot because it was fairly sheltered and would have protected me and my suitcase.

Fortunately and with a bit of luck I managed to find a place to live. Everything I owned was in one suitcase and I had to sell what hadn't been damaged to give me enough money for the basics until I got paid. Things were sold at a stupidly small price but I had no choice as I had no one to turn to for help. One in particular was a promo cd. A Japanese special sampler by the Corrs which is worth £250 and I ended up selling it for £1.

I have now replaced this CD and all of the possessions that I lost or were sold. To me being able to replace that CD is a reminder of how far I have travelled in my life over the last few years. I have gone from a major crisis point to the position I am now in.

My possessions are only a small part of my life and the biggest reminder that I will ever have and keep is not a CD or anything like that. It is the scars on my arm, they tell me and the world a story that can't always be put into words. The remind me of the most important part of my life and also the most painful. Those few people that I love so much and call my family.


What about where I am now going? Some of you know about my plans to move out of England and back to Ireland. I keep a 5 Euro note on me at all times as a reminder of where I want to go in life and so I can never be without any money again.

1 comment:

  1. A wonderful post, poppet! Despite the downs, one is delighted that you are rediscovering the ups and your plans for a possible future in Ireland sound very exciting.

    One thing is for certain, dear, though you may, at moments of a low ebb, feel you have no one to turn to, one suggests you would be pleasantly surprised just how many of us are there for you to do just that.

    Love and cuddles,
    Crusty
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete