Today I had the unfortunate pleasure of reading an article in a newspaper where a woman who claimed she was middle class, earning barely £500 a week and couldn’t afford Christmas. In the article it talks about her shopping in Harrods and having several properties at one point. This story went around twitter and other networks at high speed resulting in a huge amount of vitriol against this person and the paper, most of it justified. It was a very whiney, self indulgent and bordering on delusional.
My dream is to have what I call a proper Christmas. I was going to try and take another step closer to that dream this Christmas. My plan was to buy extra special presents for everyone, get the best possible food in and give a better donations to my favourite charities. I would normally buy myself something extra special
For various reasons this is not going to happen. Money is now extremely tight and there are other factors that I don’t have influence on. I am not happy about it but I have accepted this and I am now going to make the best of what I have.
I have a very strict budget that I am not prepared to spend a penny over. I have chosen who I will be buying gifts for and bought the best that I can for them. I have had to reduce the donations I make to charity and I do feel guilty about it. I am not going to buy the luxury food that I wanted. I am currently trying to work out if I can afford to buy myself anything.
So the reality for me is that I will be on my own over Christmas. I may receive a single very small gift if I am lucky from my parents. If I am lucky I may be able buy myself a treat.
Are there things I want for Christmas? Yes, of course there are things I would love for Christmas but again I am not going to whine because I won’t be getting any of them. I will save my money and buy myself everything.
Am I going to get all whiney about my situation? As I have said before I am not happy about my situation but I am not going to whine about it. Hopefully the gifts that I give will brighten up peoples days a tiny bit. The donations I have given and will give will help the charities I support. I won’t be going hungry and I have a roof over my head. I have considered others before myself which is what I have been taught is the right thing to do.
No comments:
Post a Comment