Some may think we live in a classless society but in reality the case is far from it. Although things aren’t quite like they were in the victorian ages we still have defined classes. People are judged by their status within society. People who do progress within society and those who gain substantial wealth will obviously do everything they can to protect it. Quite rightly so!
Now I have always made it clear that I know my place in society and like everyone else I will continue to progress to the higher levels in society. I was asked previously if I would sign a pre nuptial agreement if I was to marry someone who was substantially wealthier and higher than me in society. Just to explain a pre nuptial agreement is designed to protect one or both parties in a marriage. It covers property, finances and possibly custody of any children. It can include penalties if one person say commits adultery.
Now I firmly believe that marriage should be on the basis of mutual love, trust and respect. I am the sort of person who would never marry for money, so much so that I would question myself and my reasoning if the thought did ever cross my mind. Marrying just for money is in my opinion a deception, a fraud and a violation of the sanctity of marriage.
A prenuptial agreement may be there as a form of protection but in my opinion it also shows that there is a lack of trust. It may only be a niggling amount but it does show that one partner doesn’t fully trust the other. I then believe it is up to the person asking to reassure the person being asked that they do trust them and that it is going to be an equal marriage once the agreement has been signed. If anything they have got a harder job afterwards.
So back to the original question would I sign a pre nuptial agreement? Without a doubt yes I would. To prove my commitment and point I would want it written out in a way which meant that I did not benefit financially or otherwise from either entering into the marriage or from it’s ending. The ball would then be firmly in her court.
No comments:
Post a Comment