We have just had another launch of the Big Society by our present government. If I remember rightly this will be the third launch and I believe yet again our politicians have completely missed the point. The big society is not a new thing in fact it has been going on for many years now, our politicians have been to oblivious to notice it or recognise those who are already part of it.
If there is a national emergency then you can guarantee that people will drop everything to assist. You can guarantee that donations will pour in and people will fundraise. International emergencies, again you can guarantee a similar response. Major fundraising events such as children in need, comic relief will result in millions being raised. That is just the start, you then have people fundraising for individual causes and organisations. Oh and lets not forget the huge army of volunteers that keep charities and organisations going.
Now lets take it a step further and talk about the massive army of unpaid carers that look after relatives and friends. They don’t have to do it and at times I am sure it is a hard and thankless job. Isn’t this part of the big society? I am sure it is the core of the society that we live in today. My grandma cared for a neighbour for years and years.
The community spirit you often see where people coming together to fight for a cause, to improve their area or to help others that have fallen on hard times. Again this is part of the big society. Finally all those campaigners, activists and other who spend their time fighting to improve the lives of others.
All of the above is part of the big society and has been going on for generations. 99.99% of these people will never be publicly noticed or recognised for their work. Yet they will continue what they do regardless of what others say, think or do. I would also point out the unquantifiable amount of money that is saved by the big society that already exists. I would personally like to thank each and everyone from the bottom of my heart for the work they already do. Politicians may not notice but the rest of us have!
One agrees completely, poppet. It is the very thing that you speak of that makes our nation great indeed.
ReplyDeleteDame Crusty
xxxxx
I love you right now. Why can't everyone understand it?
ReplyDelete