Times are hard, we all know this. There are very few people who aren’t affected by the recession and credit crunch. The people who aren’t impacted by the credit crunch and recession are the very rich, politicians and senior members of the royal family. These people can afford to give to charity at will. The rest of us I am afraid can’t.
I notice that charities and organisations have changed their approach in recent months and years. Emotional adverts on TV, people stopping you in the street, leaflets through the mail, people knocking on doors, collections in numerous places, major TV appeals and clothing collections. You name it, charities now do it. We know you are all getting more and more assertive to get our support and money.
Now we are all generous and will reach into our pockets in times of emergency. You know this and we know this, however there is a limit. The cost of living is ever increasing and we are being taxed more and more which means that there is less money spare to give to charities. It doesn’t matter how worthy your cause is, it doesn’t matter how in focus your cause is. If the money isn’t there we can give it to you. Feeling warm and fuzzy for a few minutes or easing guilt doesn’t put food on the table. Emotional blackmail doesn’t change that fact.
As your approach has changed so have the way I give to charity. Like it or not this is a fact of life, not just for me but for many other people. Knocking on my door or stopping me in the street asking for monthly donations just result in rejection. I have charities that are at the top of my list to support. These are charities that I have a personal connection to or have supported me. After this I will always try and give to collections at work or sponsor friends but this isn’t guaranteed. This leaves very little money left for any other charities. Again this is a fact of life and I don’t believe it will change any time soon.
If it comes to the point that I am able to give a reasonable amount of money to charity then it will be on the following basis. Charities that I have a personal connection with, charities that have a visible local impact and then charities that are suggested to me. With any charity that I support I do check just how much of their income is used on charitable activities and how much is used on admin and paying for wages etc. Like everyone I want as much of my donation as possible to be used on charitable activities.
No comments:
Post a Comment