So the cuts have happened and I am still trying to work out what it means for me and for everybody. My initial thought is that if things go wrong and I need support from the state it isn’t going to happen.
Since the comprehensive spending review I have sent letters to my MP and the Prime Minister about the cuts. I have asked for reassurances about commitments made at and after the general election. I have called for increased funding in neonatal care, research into the prevention and care of premature babies and for support for parents who have lost babies. I have given an example of my local hospital that is appealing for £500,000 to for the neonatal intensive care unit. I also registered my protest at the cuts. I haven’t received a response from anyone which annoys the hell out of me.
I understand that there has to be cuts but there is something that is really getting my goat. We are in this mess because of the banks and specifically the money markets. We have bailed out the banks, the bankers are still receiving obscene bonuses and now it appears that the money markets are dictating the cuts. I may be wrong but it feels that a relatively small amount of people are holding the country to ransom.
Moving onto the statement and the cuts. I watched on TV and it really did sound like a large amount of MPs cheering the cuts. This was more than MPs showing support for the Chancellor and quite frankly it showed a huge amount of arrogance for the suffering that the vast majority will have to go through.
During the statement I was looking at specific areas that may or will directly impact me. The first being social welfare, previously I would have received limited support. Now it would appear that I will receive no support from the state. Next the NHS and it would appear that on face value it has been protected from the cuts, although there seems to be focus on specific areas. Lastly I looked at the arts and I was pleased to see that free entry to galleries and museums will be maintained, however other areas will be hammered. On a side note rail travel will get even more expensive which appears to go against every public transport and green policy.
Do I agree with the cuts? Do I think the cuts are fair? No I don’t agree with the cuts and firmly believe that they are far from fair. I have always been someone who uses targeted protesting and lobbying with my beliefs. This isn’t working, I know believe that the only way forward may be major mass protests. Dare I say it but now may be time for a general strike, something I would normally be against.
No comments:
Post a Comment