I will keep on saying this until I am blue in the face and the cows have come home, the death penalty is wrong. I don’t care how a country carries it out wether it is lethal injection, electrocution, hanging, stoning or a bullet in the head. It is wrong! This isn’t about me being pro life, this is about morals and standards.
I also question the need to have numerous witnesses including the media there to watch the execution. I always thought that going to court and watching a criminal being convicted and sentenced was to show that justice had been served. Why then do we need to have the victims family there at the execution? It can’t be to see that justice is served or the prison system would be open to any and all visitors so they could check that the people convicted are actually in prison. A morbid curiosity? quite possibly. Could it be closure? Again quite possibly but executing someone does not bring the original victim back, I don’t believe for one minute it ends any pain or grief. Someone needs to explain the logic of this to me.
I do not believe there is any faith or religion that has ever existed that says it is okay to kill another person. If you actually believe that an eye for an eye is an acceptable form of justice. Then you have no right to preach against others who fall far below the acceptable level of human rights that everyone is entitled to.
Yes the person being executed does suffer, I agree that this may not be anywhere close to the suffering of their victims. We can start with the build up to the execution which can take years, the final meal (something else I can’t work out), being taken into the death chamber followed by the process of execution. Death isn’t always instant and you can’t expect me to believe that there isn’t any pain involved.
I am not here to preach forgiveness, it is a great person who can truly forgive another for taking a loved ones life. I just think that as we approach 2011 there isn’t a place in this world for the death penalty, there are numerous other ways that justice can be served.
No comments:
Post a Comment