Okay before we go any further with today's blog I would humbly like to point you to the paragraph below the blog title. For any avoidance of doubt please read it so we can save any misunderstandings and potential embarrassment. Here is the paragraph just to make sure;
Thoughts, opinions, musings and ramblings of a dragon. Naturally anything published by me in this blog represents my views and not of my employer, family, friends, people that I have slept with or anyone I may have come into contact with on a daily basis. Any comments posted by people who read this blog are their own opinions, they do not represent me etc.
Now let's talk about Pussy Riot who have been sent to prison for two years for hooliganism in Russia. I think 99.9% of us believe this is wrong. Personally I fully believe that when the state fails then non violent civil disobedience is fully justifiable. There should be separation between the church, state and judiciary. Especially between the state and judiciary. I fully believe and call for their immediate release!
This for me isn't about feminism it is about freedom of speech, holding the state to account and the right to protest. Their methods are unique I must admit. I respect their stance and the fact that they are prepared to fully accept responsibility for their actions. I hope they endure and survive their Incarceration.
Naturally on twitter there has been numerous reports of other protests around the world. We had the fully expected arrests in Russia. In the Ukraine we had one feminist group decide to stage a protest by cutting down a religious monument (Jesus on a cross). I can't agree with their protest regardless of their reasons, what puzzles me is their methods and what their methods have got to do with feminism. A good looking topless women using a chain saw and allot of effort to cut the cross down with free pussy riot on her body.
http://gawker.com/5935685/topless-femen-activist-takes-down-giant-cross-with-chainsaw-to-protest-pussy-riot-verdict?utm_campaign=socialflow_gawker_twitter&utm_source=gawker_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow
I understand and support women's rights. Though I have to ask what has this got to do with feminism? Was the nudity for a reason? I am trying to understand what is going on here.
No comments:
Post a Comment